What makes the best security guards?
On-site security guards can deter criminal activity around local malls, shopping centers, marijuana dispensaries, office spaces, and other commercial properties.
The best security guards are trained and are able to handle:
- Emergency preparedness and evacuations
- Segway, foot and K9 patrolling
- Customer relations
- Medical emergency response
- Confrontation and high-risk response
- Liability and risk management
- Anti-terrorism strategies
- How to testify properly in court
- CPR and First Aid
Despite the benefits, on-site security guards can have significant disadvantages. For liability reasons, typical security guard protocol is to detect intruders, find a safe place to hide, and contact police. Guards that intercept trespassers can pose a significant liability risk for businesses. In addition:
- Security guard services are typically very expensive
- Many security guards are not adequately trained and may become a liability
- A security guard cannot be at multiple places at once
- Different areas such as alleyways and rooftops may be off limits to security guards
- Guards may be bribed or even in collusion with criminals
- Intruders may cause injuries or even kill the best security guards
- The average mall reports 50 – 100 shopping center security guard assault incidents every year
- Many shopping centers do not officially report the incidents because they do not want to decrease traffic and revenue
- Residential communities, hospitals, retail properties, and night clubs are the most common areas for security guard assault
- In 2013, more than 100 security guards were killed in one southern U.S. state
- A lot of incidents are not reported because many on-site security guards feel that it’s part of their job
Live video monitoring can help combat the disadvantages of even the best security guards. Trained video monitoring operators can watch commercial properties for suspicious and criminal activity; they can activate on-site speaker warnings and call the on-site security guards or the police. Remote video monitoring costs a fraction of security guards, allowing business owners to save money and commercial property owners to increase Net Operating Income (NOI) while helping decrease risk and liability.
UCIT Online and Stealth Monitoring are the leader in remote video surveillance in Canada and the U.S, with over 400 employees, 9 offices, and 3 live video monitoring control centers. UCIT proactive video monitoring watches over 16,000 IP and CCTV security cameras. Our security solutions feature advanced technology and can detect and deter crime while reducing security guard and other expenses. UCIT’s remote monitoring service can reduce or even replace security guards at a fraction of the cost. A remote surveillance operator can see suspicious activity, activate a speaker warning, and call the local police.
Please call toll-free (866) 756-7847 or contact UCIT today for more information to protect your outdoor assets. Visit the UCIT web site to see real videos of criminals being arrested at construction sites, multifamily apartments, shopping centers, office buildings, warehouses, auto dealerships, and other commercial real estate properties.